back to sierranevada.edu

Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Public Service Announcement from Thomas Grana

I have noticed a recent spike in the number of flu-ridden students at Sierra Nevada College. I am currently suffering from the current sinus headache and accompanying sore throat that seems to be ever prevalent around campus. I normally find the common flu avoidable if you take the correct steps to staying healthy and avoiding germs. My well being starts at my residence. I like to keep a clean room and clean common area in the house. If you have a germ free living space you are eliminating the risk of sleeping and cooking in an unsanitary environment. Cleaning up after yourself is an easy way to keep germ levels at a minimum! When your immune system is fighting flu or illness, it is especially important to help it out. Wash your hands frequently and consume plenty of vitamin C.

I find that even when I am healthy, the best way to stay healthy is to monitor what you eat. Obviously my health is not completely dependent on the food I eat, but it plays a huge role in my mood and my energy levels. I like to make sure that I'm not hungry for my classes. An easy way to avoid this is to stock up on your favorite nutrition bar and any sort of juice. I am a personal fan of the honey bunches of oats and Naked Juice combo. Between the two you get enough energy and plenty of nutrients to get you through those intense lectures and long studio classes. I also try to switch it up often because if you get bored with the food you are eating, then it obviously makes eating it a lot less enjoyable.

If there is one thing I value more than snacks, it’s my love for breakfast. Some might say that their appetite does not exist in the morning, but I think that is the result of poor time management. If you schedule time for breakfast and have enough time to eat, it makes the day a lot more tolerable. Eggs and toast is one of the more simple breakfast dishes that when mastered, can only take 5 or 10 minutes. When shopping, I like to remember plenty of fruits and greens to help keep me alert and focused. I try to stay away from anything that is processed or fried, but every once and a while, it doesn't hurt. Diet, plenty of sleep, and regular exercise, keeps me energized and ready for class.

My father once told me, "We must live to eat; not eat to live." More often than not, I think of this quote when eating. It also helps me remember the importance of food.

1 comment:

  1. scrubbbbbbbbbbbb! hahaha, nice post though homie

    ReplyDelete