back to sierranevada.edu

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sketchbooking

Hello! My name's Jessica, and I'll be your student blogger for the month.

I thought I’d start by talking about an ongoing blog series at Book By Its Cover. The site manager, illustrator Julia Rothman, has built up some extensive documentation of working artists’ sketchbooks. Many of the contributors to the series are illustrators, but there are also sketchbooks belonging to painters, collage artists, and sculptors. I’ve always been very interested in artists’ sketchbooks, sometimes as much as finished work. It’s fascinating to see where ideas begin, and there is a real sense of intimacy when looking at these more private objects.

Below are a few examples; for the whole series, go here.

Anders Nilsen:



Mattias Adolfsson:



Lars Henkel:




No comments:

Post a Comment