back to sierranevada.edu

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Light and a face

Godard famously said that all you need to make a movie is a girl and a gun. In special cases you could strip that formula down even further -- sometimes you just need some light and a human face.



Well, even under the best of circumstances, maybe that formula doesn't give you a whole movie. I liked Antonioni's The Passenger well enough when I saw it on the big screen several years ago, but I have to admit not much of it really stuck with me. With the exception of the above scene. That I'll take with me happily to my grave. The dialogue and the idea of the scene are too existential-chic, but really, it doesn't matter: movement, color, light strobing across a face, wind streaming through hair, a shift in gaze. Those things can dive straight into your ribcage. The resolution on the youtube clip, of course, can't do it justice.





R.I.P. Maria Schneider

No comments:

Post a Comment