back to sierranevada.edu

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Gyembo at Ghibli

Gyembo Gyeltshen, a student who took one of my animation classes, came by my office to show me some pictures he took over winter break. He was in Tokyo for a couple weeks, and visited the Ghibli museum -- Ghibli being the animation studio run by two of the greatest living animation directors, Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. I talk about Miyazaki and show some of his work in most of my animation classes -- last semester, the advanced animation class went on a field trip to see "Ponyo" on the big screen. Gyembo wasn't allowed to take pictures inside the museum, but here are some of the shots he took outside, including a couple shots of a life-size replica of a robot from "Laputa: Castle in the Sky." I'm happy he gave me permission to share these on the blog.

I'll actually be giving a presentation on anime on March 23rd at SNC -- I'll put more info on the blog as the date approaches. In the meantime, here's a link to an article I wrote for Animation World Network when "Spirited Away" came out -- it remains my favorite of Miyazaki's films.







No comments:

Post a Comment